Beer Style: Robust Porter (12B)
Recipe Type: partial mash
Yield: 5 US gallons
Round 1: 2 weeks brew to bottle, waiting for conditioning at the moment. This turned out lighter than I'd hoped/expected, so will likely adjust grains a bit for the next batch. Taste at bottling time was very nice - will update after bottle conditioning.
1. Add grains to grain bag and place in cold water - bring water temp to just before boiling - remove grains.
2. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in extracts until dissolved - put back on heat
3. Bring to a good, controlled boil - set timer for 50 minutes
4. At 10 minutes into the boil, add 1 oz Perle hops (in bag)
5. At 30 minutes into the boil, add 1 oz Cascade hops (in bag)
6. At 50 minutes, remove from heat, and steep Chinook hops (in bag) for 10 min.
7. Cool to below 80 deg and pitch yeast.
Blow off occurred within 24 hours and lasted a couple of days. I ferment in only 1 carboy, so after 2 days, replaced blow off tube with airlock and fermented for a total of 12 days. I screwed up and did not take gravity samples, so have to wait for the second batch to do so.
Source: Darin B.