×
AD BLOCKER DETECTED:

We provide beer recipes and other content to you for free. Instead of charging you, we charge our advertisers. Without ads, we will not survive. Beerrecipes.org has been supporting homebrewers since 2002 with quality beer recipes, style guides and other content. Please help us continue by switching off your ad blocker. Learn more...

For the best experience, Login or Register for more features.  Favorites, write reviews, get notifications of new recipes, and more.

Beer Style: Metheglin  (26A)
Recipe Type: other
Yield: 5 US gallons

Metheglin

Description:

I always like reading about (and drinking about!) new (to me) varieties of honey. If I were you, I would try to brew it with exactly the same recipes and procedures of another mead you made with a different honey, and then compare, and try to take maturity effects into account.

A rule of thumb I've read, but haven't thoroughly tested, is that darker honeys tend to be stronger in flavor and take longer to age to maturity. I have found that darker honeys are stronger in flavor. Tupelo tends to be pretty strongly flavored for it's light color, and matures rather quickly.

Ingredients:

  • ~3.5 lbs. clover honey
  • 4-5 cups fresh sweet basil leaves, loosely packed, picked about a week earlier
  • "the house yeast"

Click to Print Recipe

Procedure:

First, I boiled a few pints of water with the basil leaves, to make a tea. Leaving the leaves (pardon the pun) in the pot, I added the honey. The temp was right about 150F at that point, so I let it sit for a few minutes to pasteurize. I covered the pot, and put it in a sink filled with ice water. About 20 minutes later it had cooled to about 60F, and I transfered it to a 1-gallon jug which had the dregs from a dandelion wine in it. The dandelion wine was the fourth or fifth reculturing of a yeast I've been using for about a year now. It's a mix of Wyeast European Ale yeast and Wyeast Champagne yeast, probably pretty heavy on the Champagne at this point, due to alcohol levels. Possibly contaminated, but a sip of the dandelion wine told no such tale. (Though it was very immature, it didn't taste contaminated.) I topped it off with pre-boiled and partially cooled (could have done better, but it mixed in okay) water.

2 days later, it still hadn't started, and then I remembered that I had forgotten to aerate it. There was an airlock on the mead, so I wasn't terribly worried. I shook that jug mightily, aerating with vigor. It is now fermenting merrily, about 1 week later. I think this should probably be the last time I use that yeast.

Source:

spacer