We provide beer recipes and other content to you for free. Instead of charging you, we charge our advertisers. Without ads, we will not survive. Beerrecipes.org has been supporting homebrewers since 2002 with quality beer recipes, style guides and other content. Please help us continue by switching off your ad blocker. Learn more...

For the best experience, Login or Register for more features.  Favorites, write reviews, get notifications of new recipes, and more.

Strawberry, Not Very Ale

back to search Back to Search  Style Details 

Strawberry, Not Very Ale

back to search Back to Search  Style Details 

Beer Style: Fruit Beer  (20A)
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons

Fruit Beer


I didn't like it, my friends LOVE it. Very little malt, lots of strawberry, very dry, almost a wine. A few people mix it with Dry Blackthorn Cider, yummy! This becomes a true cooler. Next year, twice as much crystal, half as much strawberries.


  • 7.2 pounds, Alexander's pale malt extract syrup
  • 1/2 pound, cracked crystal malt (10L)
  • 6 pounds+, pureed previously-frozen strawberries
  • 3/4 ounce, Saaz hops (5.9% alpha), 60 minute boil
  • 1 ounce, Fuggles (5.3% alpha), 30 minute boil
  • Wyeast #1214 Belgian ale yeast
  • Pectin enzyme (to precipitate pectin)

Click to Print Recipe


I used two 8 quart stockpots to cook this. I boiled one full pot of water, and set the seive in the top with the crystal malt after I cut the heat. Waited 20 minutes, then took the seive out and threw out the grains. I split the "tea" between the two pots, filled with water and started the boil. I added the extract and Saaz, boiled for 30 minutes, added the Fuggles, and boiled for 30 minutes more. I cooled the 4 gallons to 75 degrees and pitched the yeast. Then I boiled (!) the strawberries with 1 gallon of water for 15 minutes, then cooled and racked the beer (lost some trub here) onto the strawberry mix. 4 hours later, I racked the mix again, losing all of the trub (so far). Primary fermentation was outrageous! With 5+ inches headroom in my primary, I blew the Saran Wrap up 3 inches, then off 3 times! 3 days in the primary, then I racked to the secondary, and added the pectin enzyme. After 8 days in the secondary, I bottled with 1 1/2 cups of dried extract. I stored it for 3 weeks, then tried it.