We provide beer recipes and other content to you for free. Instead of charging you, we charge our advertisers. Without ads, we will not survive. Beerrecipes.org has been supporting homebrewers since 2002 with quality beer recipes, style guides and other content. Please help us continue by switching off your ad blocker. Learn more...

For the best experience, Login or Register for more features.  Favorites, write reviews, get notifications of new recipes, and more.

First Oatmeal Stout

back to search Back to Search  Style Details 

First Oatmeal Stout

back to search Back to Search  Style Details 

Beer Style: Oatmeal Stout  (13C)
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons

Oatmeal Stout


Well, last night I made my first oatmeal stout with extract and specialties. This is the first stout I have made of any kind so I didn't know what to expect.


  • 6# unhopped dark malt extract
  • 1# unhopped dry malt
  • 8 oz chocolate malt
  • 6 oz roasted barley
  • 4 oz black patent malt
  • 8 oz rolled oats
  • 1 tbs CaCO3
  • 2 oz Northern Brewer - 8.2 AAU
  • 2 oz Fuggles - 4.2 AAU
  • Irish Moss - 30 min
  • Liquid Irish Ale yeast

Click to Print Recipe


I cracked the grains using my food processor in short bursts (worked great!). Transferred them to a mesh strainer and shook to remove dust. I did this outside so as not to contaminate the kitcken. These were then placed with the oats (unground) into a grain bag. I preheated a 10 qt. (12-pack) cooler with boiling water, added the grain bag and 175 deg. water. Water cooled to the target of 160 deg. and steeped for 15 minutes. Things were working beautifully. I boiled the water and added the extract, CaCO3 and the steep liquor. This is where I have the question.

In previous extract/grain batches I have steeped grains, then washed them in some of the unboiled water until the water ran "clear." I started to do this with the black/chocolate malts but obviously with the black grains it wouldn't have run clear. Eventually, the water I was using started to become the consistancy of thin syrup. If I continued to wash them I would have been there for days until the liquid began to thin and probably would have ended up with 10 gallons of wort.