Beer Style: Oatmeal Stout (13C)
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons
Here is a recipe for an "oatmeal stout" I made using their extracts. I am quite pleased with it.
1. For the crystal malt, I crushed the malt and put in a straining bag & put that in 6.5 gal of water at 120^F.
2. Heated the water to 170^F & removed the heat.
3. Let steep at 170^F for 15 min.
4. Remove grains, bring pot to boil.
5. Remove heat, add malt extracts.
6. Bring to boil, add hops & boil for 60 min. Add Irish moss 20 min from end.
7. etc, etc, etc,
For the new brewers out there, it took me a while to realize that I needed to do the first part of step 5. I used to add the extracts while the heat was applied and no matter how well I tried to stir, I would scorch some malt onto the bottom of the pan. Also, it should be obvious that this is a full-boil. If you only boil 2-3 gal, you'll have to increase the amount of hops you use.
Source: Jim Grady