We provide beer recipes and other content to you for free. Instead of charging you, we charge our advertisers. Without ads, we will not survive. Beerrecipes.org has been supporting homebrewers since 2002 with quality beer recipes, style guides and other content. Please help us continue by switching off your ad blocker. Learn more...

For the best experience, Login or Register for more features.  Favorites, write reviews, get notifications of new recipes, and more.

Lutzen's Pleasing Porter

back to search Back to Search  Style Details 

Lutzen's Pleasing Porter

back to search Back to Search  Style Details 

Beer Style: Robust Porter  (12B)
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons

Robust Porter


Very smooth, nice hop balance, but a bit heavy for a summer drink. Will try to save the rest for this fall. This might be considered a lager due to the refrigeration. It was only done because the ambient temperature of my basement "brewing room" hits 75-80 Degrees during the summer heat. I brewed this in early spring as an ale (65 degrees) and strangely enough, they taste very similar. (Drink a bottle of one version, wait, drink a bottle of the other, results: Who cares. Both are great.)


  • 3 pound can John Bull unhopped Dark
  • 3 pound bag Northwestern Amber Malt extract
  • 1-1/2 ounces Clusters 6.9% alpha (boil)
  • 1 ounce Cascades 5.6% alpha (finish)
  • Ale yeast (your choice)

Additional Instructions

Primary Ferment: 1 month at 50 degrees

Beer Profile

Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.016
Alcohol by Vol: 4.71%
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5.00 US Gallons

Click to Print Recipe


Bring 2 gallons of water and malt to a boil. Add 1/2 ounce Clusters at beginning of boil, 20 minutes, and 40 minutes. After 60 min. turn off heat, and add Cascades. At this point it was late in the evening, I poured the wort into my sanitized bottling bucket and brought the quantity up to 5 gals. and stuck the whole thing in the beverage refrigerator. Next morning I siphoned off the wort into the fermentor, leaving all those hop particles behind, pitched the yeast. Put on the blow tube, and put the fermenter back in the refrigerator. I had the temperature set at 50 degrees.

After a week, I replaced the blow tube with an airlock, and bottled after a month of fermenting.