Beer Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer (21A)
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons
Courtesy of The Market Basket Brookfield, Wisconsin
1. Mix the two cans of pumpkin, crystal malt, amylase and brown sugar into 2 gallons (7.6 kg) of water and add amylase.
2. Bring the mixture to 155 °F (68 °C) and let stand for 35 minutes.
3. Bring heat up to 170 °F (77 °C), turn off and allow to settle for 45 minutes.
4. Strain the liquid into the brew pot, leaving as much of the pumpkin pulp behind as practical.
5. Add 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water, bittering hops and malt extract and boil for 60 minutes.
6. Add Irish moss during the last 15 minutes of boil.
7. Add finishing hops and all of the spices during the last 5 minutes of boil.
8. Add water to make 5 gallons (19 L), pitch yeast at appropriate temperature. Ferment for approximately 10 days at 66–70 °F (19–21 °C).
9. Prime with dextrose for bottling or force carbonate in the keg. Enjoy!
Substitute 8 lbs. (3.6 kg) of highly modified American 2-row brewers malt for the extract in above recipe. Mash-in brewers malt, crystal malt and pumpkin with 4 gallons (15.2 L) of 155 °F (68 °C) water add amylase, brown sugar and hold at 155 (68 °C) until conversion (about 45–60 minutes). Batch sparge with 4.5 gallons water at 175 °F (79 °C). Boil to reduce volume to 5 gallons (19 L). Follow hop, Irish moss and spice schedule as in above recipe. Ferment and bottle the same as the extract version.