Beer Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer (21A)
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons
Apple Spiced Ale has captured Autumn in a glass. Subtle spices combine with apple flavor in a malty, warming seasonal brew. The addition of maple syrup just adds another layer of flavoring to an already multi-faceted beer. Adding maple syrup will increase original gravity.
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
Alcohol by Vol: 5.9%
Color SRM: 15 Color Sample
Bitterness IBU: 25
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5.00 US Gallons
1. Heat 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water to
155 °F (68 °C). Add 9 oz. U.S. crystal malt (40 °L) and 1 oz. (28 g) British chocolate malt.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and steep at 150 °F (66 °C) for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the grain water into the brew pot.
4. Sparge (strain) the grains with 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) of 150 °F (66 °C) water.
5. Bring the water to
a boil, remove from the heat and add
7 lbs. (3.2 kg) of Muntons extra-light dried malt extract, 5 oz. (140 g) maltodextrin and 8 AAU Northern Brewer (bittering hop).
6. Add water until the total volume in the brew pot is 2.5 gallons (9.5 L). Boil for 45 minutes. Then add 1 tsp. Irish moss, 1/2 inch vanilla bean split, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 oz. (7 g) freshly grated ginger and 8 oz. (224 g) pure maple syrup (optional).
7. Boil for 12 minutes, then add 1/2 inch vanilla bean split, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 oz. freshly grated ginger.
8. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove pot from the stove and chill for 20 minutes. Strained the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 1/8 gallons (19.5 L).
9. When the wort temperature is below 70 °F (21 °C) pitch Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast. (Aerate the wort thoroughly). Ferment in the primary 7 days at 68-70 °F (20-21 °C).
10. After primary completes, siphon into the secondary fermenter, (5-gallon/19-L glass carboy) and ferment at 68–70 (20–21 °C).
11. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 3 weeks). Prime with 1-1/4 cups Muntons extra light dried malt extract that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water and 4–6 oz. (112–168 g)
12. Let prime at 70 °F (21 °C) for approximately 2 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature until the brew suits your taste.