We provide beer recipes and other content to you for free. Instead of charging you, we charge our advertisers. Without ads, we will not survive. Beerrecipes.org has been supporting homebrewers since 2002 with quality beer recipes, style guides and other content. Please help us continue by switching off your ad blocker. Learn more...
Beer Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5 US gallons
Apple Spiced Ale has captured Autumn in a glass. Subtle spices combine with apple flavor in a malty, warming seasonal brew. The addition of maple syrup just adds another layer of flavoring to an already multi-faceted beer. Adding maple syrup will increase original gravity.
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
Alcohol by Vol: 5.9%
Color SRM: 15 Color Sample
Bitterness IBU: 25
Recipe Type: extract
Yield: 5.00 US Gallons
1. Heat 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water to
155 °F (68 °C). Add 9 oz. U.S. crystal malt (40 °L) and 1 oz. (28 g) British chocolate malt.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and steep at 150 °F (66 °C) for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the grain water into the brew pot.
4. Sparge (strain) the grains with 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) of 150 °F (66 °C) water.
5. Bring the water to
a boil, remove from the heat and add
7 lbs. (3.2 kg) of Muntons extra-light dried malt extract, 5 oz. (140 g) maltodextrin and 8 AAU Northern Brewer (bittering hop).
6. Add water until the total volume in the brew pot is 2.5 gallons (9.5 L). Boil for 45 minutes. Then add 1 tsp. Irish moss, 1/2 inch vanilla bean split, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 oz. (7 g) freshly grated ginger and 8 oz. (224 g) pure maple syrup (optional).
7. Boil for 12 minutes, then add 1/2 inch vanilla bean split, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 oz. freshly grated ginger.
8. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove pot from the stove and chill for 20 minutes. Strained the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 1/8 gallons (19.5 L).
9. When the wort temperature is below 70 °F (21 °C) pitch Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast. (Aerate the wort thoroughly). Ferment in the primary 7 days at 68-70 °F (20-21 °C).
10. After primary completes, siphon into the secondary fermenter, (5-gallon/19-L glass carboy) and ferment at 68–70 (20–21 °C).
11. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 3 weeks). Prime with 1-1/4 cups Muntons extra light dried malt extract that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water and 4–6 oz. (112–168 g)
12. Let prime at 70 °F (21 °C) for approximately 2 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature until the brew suits your taste.