Beer Style: German Ale,Honey,Porter
Recipe Type: partial mash
Inspired by home brewers from across the country, last year President Obama bought a home brewing kit for the kitchen. After the few first drafts we landed on some great recipes that came from a local brew shop. We received some tips from a couple of home brewers who work in the White House who helped us amend it and make it our own. To be honest, we were surprised that the beer turned out so well since none of us had brewed beer before.
OG: ? FG: ?
Primary Ferment: 3-4 days
Secondary Ferment: 4-7 days
1. In a 6 qt pot, ad grains to 2.25 qts of 168 degree water. Mix wsell to bring temp down to 155. Steep on stovetop at 155 deg for 45 minutes. Meanwhile bring 2 gallons of water to 165 deg in a 12 qt pot. Place straner over, then pour and spoon all the grains and liquid in. Rense with 2 galons of 165 deg water. Let liquid drain through. Discard the grains and bring the liquid to a boil. Set aside.
2. Add the 2 cans of malt extract and honey into the pot. Stir well.
3. Boil for an hour. Add half of the bittering hops at the 15 minute mark, the other half at the 30 minute mark. then the aroma hops at the 60 minute mark.
4. Set aside and let stand for 15 minutes.
5. Place 2 gallons of chilled water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons if necessary. Place into an ice bath to cool down to 70-80 deg.
6. Activate dry yeast in 1 cup of sterilized water at 75-80 degrees for 15 minutes. Pitch yeast into the fermenter. Fill airlock halfway with water. Ferment at room temp (64-68 deg) for 3-4 days.
7 Siphon over to secondary glass fermenter for another 4-7 days.
8. To bottle, make a priming syrup on the stove with 1 cup sterile water and add 3/4 cup priming sugar. bring to boil for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Leet sit for 1-2 weeks at 75 deg.
Submitted by: Barack Obama